Hi <<First Name>>.
We hope you and yours are doing well right now. There have been a lot of developments regarding the coronavirus in the past few days. As of today (Monday) there are 178 presumptive positive cases in New Jersey, and 6 in Morris County.
Today, Governor Murphy announced a statewide curfew (8 PM to 5 AM) and indefinitely closed all casinos, bars, movie theaters, nightclubs, performing arts centers, and gyms starting at 8 p.m. Restaurants can provide take-out and delivery, but not dine-in options. All schools, public and private, must close by Wednesday at the latest. The announcement, with more information, is here.
Again, if you are facing any challenges right now please reach out, to us or to each other.
One of our members, Tina McKittrick, is a professor in the Biology Department at Drew. She sent us a link to a recording of a talk her colleague Brianne Barker gave on Friday entitled "Coronavirus Biology: Separating Fact from Fiction." Brianne is a Harvard-trained virologist who teaches Virology, Emerging Infectious Diseases, Immunology, and other related courses.
The video is here: Drew's Brianne Barker - Coronavirus Biology: Separating Fact from Fiction. It is long (1:23 h) so here are some important time points in the video:
The Q&A session may be particularly worth viewing. At the end of her presentation, Brianne also mentions the link to the podcast This Week in Virology (TWiV): these podcasts can be found at http://www.microbe.tv.
- 2:02 is the actual start of the talk--the preceding 2 minutes was introductory information
- 16:48 and 31:24 specific information about symptoms
- 18:45 information about epidemiology
- 32:57 information about transmission
- 43:31 information about protective measures
- 48:54 end of the formal presentation and beginning of the question-and-answer session.
Below are some updated links and information that we hope will be of use. Please forward this on to anyone who might need it.
Let's all work together now to support each other. We hope you will be in touch.
- Harding Township School is closed. You can read the letter about this decision here.
- Morristown Medical Center is taking proactive steps to prepare for an outbreak if it occurs. You can read about that here.
- The New Jersey Department of Health has a "COVID-19" dashboard available here. The dashboard tracks positive cases in NJ by county.
- A hotline has been set up to answer questions and concerns. The numbers are 1-800-222-1222 and 1-800-962-1253.
- You can watch Governor Murphy's Monday update on COVID-19 here, and see updated transcripts here.
- Two drive-through testing centers, one at the Bergen County Community College and a second at PNC Bank Arts Center in Monmouth County are being prepared, though they have not opened yet.
- Some advised precautions:
- Wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water, as often as possible
- Avoid touching your face, especially your eyes, mouth, and nose
- Practice "social distancing," which includes staying at least six feet away from others and avoiding unnecessary social situations
- Clean frequently touched surfaces
- Stay home if you are sick
Harding Township Democratic Committee