There's a Covid surge in New Zealand. And in our family.
View this email in your browser
Well, it was almost inevitable: finally we got Covid. I probably caught it from going to bridge lessons, as fewer and fewer people are wearing masks (our Lyttleton table have been insisting anyone who plays with us wear a mask, but we are in the minority).

It was like a heavy cold with extra aches for a day and a half. Even my eyeballs ached. How is that possible? One of my neighbours called to say that she had made muffins with a special ingredient. I was hoping it was marijuana (not legal in New Zealand, unfortunately), but it was chocolate. Nearly as good. And it was the first of many deliveries we received during our isolation.
I did a lot of lounging around in bed, especially after a sleepless night. I couldn't concentrate to read so I listened to Lisa Tarbuck on BBC Radio 4 (Steph, if you are reading, I thought of your family when I got to 1hr:51min of the Platypus Custard episode). Her show is so entertaining I had to switch to Joni Mitchell to finally drift back to sleep.

The boyf got it two days after I did and my sister in Auckland got it two days after him. New Zealand is surging.

I started feeling better on day three of being positive (Monday) so I snuck out for a dog walk to enjoy the fresh air and change of scene. Felt slightly dizzy on return. Slightly dizzy also after I walked up to my studio in the afternoon. Slightly dizzy seems to be my new normal.
I didn't think I had the dreaded Covid brain, but after I'd finished colouring in my full-page comic for Double Helix magazine I thought I should wait until the following day before sending it to CSIRO. This is a section of the final version:
I'm glad I waited. When I checked it the following day I saw so many mistakes. The next day I illustrated the puzzles and was quite happy with them. So was the Double Helix editor.

Once I’d sent him the correct file.

I eased back on work and did lots of things I've been meaning to do for awhile.
Six days after testing positive, the government sent me a text to say I was fine to go out and about and “return to all normal daily activities”. It was absolutely hosing down. Molly and I stayed in bed.
The boyf and I are feeling much better now, but still keeping our distance from other people and wearing masks when we go out so that we don't infect others.

Wishing you well (including BOTH sisters. My London one tested positive today).

PS. Molly is fine and glad to be back to longer walks.
Copyright © 2022 Alex Hallatt's Cartoons and Writing, All rights reserved.

Want to change how you receive these emails?
You can update your preferences or unsubscribe from this list

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp