I hope your week has been amazing so far.
Following Andela's announcement to halt its fellowship cycles and training programs for aspiring and junior developers, the tech community and companies in Africa and beyond have opened up opportunities to engage affected developers. If you're one of the amazing 400, the forloop Africa community is proud of how far you've come, and will constantly share information on opportunities for work and growth.
Some developments in this regard, so far:
Flutterwave will be hosting a developer job fair on Saturday, the 21st of September. If you're a developer looking to get hired, register to attend here. If you're a hiring/engineering manager looking to recruit software developers, register here.
- Check out this 900-company list - put together by the Remotive team - hiring software developers to work remotely.
On to other stuff;
- Java (JDK) 13 has been released for General Availability. New features in this version include performance, stability, and security improvements, as well as two new preview features, 'Switch Expressions' and 'Text Blocks', which are designed to improve developer productivity. Read more here.
- The Tensorflow Team will be touring Africa with the Tensorflow Roadshow through the month of October. The roadshow will feature talks on TensorFlow 2.0 best practices, TF Lite, TF.js, TensorFlow Extended, Model Optimization and much more! The roadshow will be in Nairobi (October 5th), Lagos (October 9th), and Johannesburg (October 12th). Register to attend in your city; don't miss it!
- TechCabal Townhall is back, and this month, the tech community event will be focusing on Mobility: How tech is changing transport, logistics, and infrastructure in Africa. The townhall is slated to take place on Friday, the 27th of September, 2019.
Speakers who will be at the event include Omobola Johnson (fmr Minister of Communications & Snr Partner, TLCCom capital), Ridwan Olalere (Director of Operations, OPay), Kola Tubosun (Linguist, Google), Chinedu Azodo (Co-founder, MAX), Obi Ozor (CEO, Kobo 360), and more. Founders, entrepreneurs, regulators, and all stakeholders in the tech and transport industry, venture capitalists, and all change-makers are welcome. If you'd like to attend TC Townhall, find out more and get your ticket here.
- On the 5th of October 2019, VanHack will be hosting tech talents at a meetup in Lagos. The meetup is aimed at equipping software developers, designers, data scientists, and all people in tech looking to work with Canadian and European tech companies, with the necessary information and tips for acing at international technical interviews. If you'd like first-hand tips to help you successfully ship your talent to the North Americas and Europe, save your seat here.
- The Python Community in Nigeria will be hosting their annual conference, PyCon2019NG: Building, Scaling, and Enabling Innovation, from the 25th to 28th of September, 2019 in Abuja. The conference will feature tech talks, tutorials, panels, and workshops. If you're a Pythonista, get your ticket here.
- If you work with media asset management, APIs, and SDKs, it might do you a world of good to join in on the Cloudinary bimonthly webinar.
Whether you are an experienced Cloudinary user that wants to get a refresher, or are brand new to the Cloudinary service, this highly interactive webinar dives into developer-focused APIs and SDKs, showing you how to properly upload, manage and transform your digital content on the Cloudinary platform. Find more details and select your preferred webinar date here.
Jobs & Opportunities
- PreDiagn, a health-tech startup, is looking to hire a Full-stack web developer. If you'd like to build products for innovation in the health sector, find more information about the opening here.
- AMA Creative is looking to hire a mid-level Android & iOS developer. If this interests you, you can apply here.
- eHealth Africa is hiring to fill Software Developer roles; Frontend, Backend, and Android Development. Find the requirements here and apply.
- BuyPower is looking to hire a Data Analyst. If you love crunching numbers in high-growth environments, check out the requirements and apply.
- Cowrywise is looking to hire a Backend Developer. Check out the requirements here.
- VanHack has listed new openings and opportunities in tech companies in Canada and other parts of the world. Check out the openings for AWS DevOps Engineer, Product Manager, Backend Python Engineer, Senior Android Developer, and more. If you're new to Vanhack, register and create your profile here to begin, and if you're an existing VanHack talent, apply here.
To catch up on all upcoming dev related events, be sure to check the forloop.africa/meetups link. Also, if someone cool forwarded this to you, you can just subscribe here to get it in your inbox, going forward. Want to read the archive? Here you go.
Retired Superhero. Editor.