Haha! Sorry to scare you. It's Halloween, and though it's not celebrated traditionally in Nigeria where I'm from, it's one of my favourite times of the year.
In the spirit of spookiness, I'd like you to cast your mind back to the most terrifying bug you've ever encountered since you started to code. Did it take away your appetite, your sleep, or even almost take your job? Tell me about it.
On to exciting stuff,
1. #forLoopPod Episode 6 is out! On this episode, Ada (@kolokodess) talks about imposter syndrome, burnout, feelings of demotivation, and how to tackle these situations. Listen here, and don't forget to share with your friends.
2. Create React App v2.1.0 has been released. What's new? Typescript support has been added and bug fixes have been made. Get all the details.
3. This Saturday, the 3rd of November, join GDG Lagos as they host Devfest Lagos 2018. If you'll be in Lagos and you still need some convincing, GDG Lagos has given you 18 reasons to attend. Already convinced? Cop a seat here.
4. If you'll be in Accra this weekend, make your way to the forLoop Ghana anniversary event, "User-centered Product Design", on Saturday, the 3rd of November. Save your seat here.
Jobs & Opportunities
- Andela Kenya is hosting a hackathon, Andela News Hackathon: Fighting Fake News, that seeks to combat the production and spread of news that has not been fact-checked. Media practitioners, software developers, designers, and product managers, from all across Nairobi, will spend 24 hours ideating and prototyping solutions to the fake news problem. The hackathon will run from the 9th to the 10th of November. Read all about it here.
- Gatsby is looking to hire an Open Source Maintainer. If you have maintained a repo before, have experience with build tools like Buck and Bazel, and experience with React, NodeJS, and GraphQL, and open source is your thing, apply here.
- Google Code-In (GCI), the global online contest introducing students to open source development, has begun its 9th consecutive installment. Pre-university students from the ages of 13 to 17 that have their parents' and guardians' permission can register for the contest. Code-In with Google, this year, will run for 7 weeks until December 12th, 2018. If you know bright and interested youngsters, have them register here.
- Google has announced its 10,000 Grow with Google Developer Scholarships in partnership with Pluralsight and Andela. The Google Developer Scholarships have given many developers in Africa the opportunity to learn and compete at a global level. Let's make it your turn this year. Check out all the details here.
- Paystack is looking to hire amazing people to fill the following roles:
Senior Software Engineer, Front-end Engineer (Web experiences), Front-end Engineer (Product), and Product Designer.
- Off-Grid Electric is looking to hire a Junior Android Developer. If you're interested in this role, read all about the team you might get to work with, all the amazing things you'll do together, and apply here.
- Opera Pay is looking to hire experienced Telemarketers and Customer Support Executives. You can apply for the Telemarketer and the Customer Support Executive roles. If you know qualified/potentially interested candidates, share this with them.
On Building Things...
To catch up on all upcoming dev related events, be sure to check the forloop.africa/meetups link. Also, if someone cool forwarded this to you, you can just subscribe here to get it in your inbox, going forward. Want to read the archive? Here you go.
This newsletter was written under the influence of Wildfire by SBTRKT.
Retired Superhero. Editor.