We've all seen movies where 'hackers' break into some federal establishment and try to access confidential information from super secret, encrypted servers (yeah, those), along with the cliche sentence "I'm in" plus super fast typing and code running. If you get the picture, then you'd be excited to know that you too can do this now with VS Code Hacker Typer. You can now live code at interviews and conferences, and look absolutely cool. Take a look and geek out.
Now, on to business,
1. forLoop Zambia has announced that come November, they'll be hosting their first local hackathon in Lusaka. There'll be amazing prizes for winners, including full-time employment at a tech company in Lusaka. Great stuff, right? Join the forLoop Africa Slack channel and follow @forLoop_Zambia to get updates on the hackathon.
2. Next Saturday, the 3rd of November, join GDG Lagos as they host Devfest Lagos 2018, a festival celebrates the tech profession and brings developers together to learn from leaders and peers all around the world. The event will feature over 20 different sessions that cut across Android development, Machine Learning and more. Want to attend? Cop a seat here.
3. forLoop Ghana will be hosting a meetup on Saturday, the 3rd of November, to mark the forLoop Ghana one year anniversary. The event will hold in Accra, and there's an amazing lineup of speakers. To attend, register here.
Jobs & Opportunities
- The 9th installment of Google Code-In (GCI), the global online contest introducing students to open source development, has been announced. Pre-university students from the ages of 13 to 17 that have their parents' and guardians' permission can register for the contest. Code-In with Google, this year, will run for 7 weeks until December 12th, 2018. If you know bright and interested youngsters, have them register here.
- Google has announced its 10,000 Grow with Google Developer Scholarships in partnership with Pluralsight and Andela. The Google Developer Scholarships have given many developers in Africa the opportunity to learn and compete at a global level. Let's make it your turn this year. Check out all the details here.
- Paystack is looking to hire amazing people to fill the following roles:
Senior Software Engineer, Front-end Enginhereeer (Web experiences), Front-end Engineer (Product), and Product Designer.
- Join the Andela Volunteer Facilitator Network - Andela is looking for passionate technologists in Nigeria, Uganda, Kenya and Rwanda who would like to provide support to aspiring developers in form of Technical & In-Person/Remote Mentorship Sessions. Interested? Sign up here.
Join Andela in Tanzania - Live, work or school in Tanzania? Passionate about tech & tech communities? Looking to level-up your coding experience? The Andela Learning Community is coming to Tanzania!!! You can apply as a learner or as Volunteer (Community Mentor or a Meet-up Facilitator). Interested?
Apply as a learner or as a volunteer.
- Off-Grid Electric is looking to hire a Junior Android Developer. If you're interested in this role, read all about the team you might get to work with, all the amazing things you'll do together, and apply here.
- Opera Pay is looking to hire experienced Telemarketers and Customer Support Executives. You can apply for the Telemarketer and the Customer Support Executive roles. If you know qualified/potentially interested candidates, share this with them.
On Building Things...
To catch up on all upcoming dev related events, be sure to check the forloop.africa/meetups link. Also, if someone cool forwarded this to you, you can just subscribe here to get it in your inbox, going forward. Want to read the archive? Here you go.
This newsletter was written under the influence of Asaro and peppered snails.z
Retired Superhero. Editor.