I hope your week has been exciting. Mine has been extremely busy, but there's always time to update you about the coolest things.
If like me, you've been hearing about foldable smartphones since 2015, then you definitely want to listen to the Samsung Developer Conference 2018 keynote, as there have been rumors of a foldable phone.
Meanwhile, if you'd like to see the world's first foldable smartphone, go here.
2. Prettier, an automatic code formatter, has announced its latest version, v1.15. Included in this new version is support for HTML, Angular, Vue, and MDX. Check out what's prettier in Prettier here.
3. The Linux Foundation, the non-profit enabling mass innovation through open source, has announced intent to launch a new foundation to accelerate the development of GraphQL and its surrounding ecosystem. If you're a GraphQL user or enthusiast, check out the details.
4. Don't forget to be at
+ The forLoop Ilorin maiden meetup themed, "Starting Your Career As A Developer", on the 24th of November. The Call for papers is out; if you'd like to speak at the event, send your talk proposal here.
+ GDG Uyo's DevFest Uyo 2018. The event will bring Google Technology enthusiasts in and out of the city together. Some of the speakers slated to be at the event include Aniedi Udo-Obong, Developer and Product Manager at Google, Mark Essien, CEO of Hotels.ng, Celestine Omin, Engineering Manager, Paystack, Prosper Otemuyiwa, Developer Advocate at Apollo. You can also check out the event schedule. To register, get a ticket here.
Jobs & Opportunities
- Global aerospace accelerator, Airbus Bizlab, in collaboration with GIZ Make-it, Inno Circle, and MEST Africa, has announced the launch of the second edition of its #Africa4FutureChallenge. The challenge is set to engage early-stage startups, in 54 African countries, who are actively working on solutions related to Automation and Drones, Electrification, Blockchain, Artificial Intelligence, Data analytics, Material composites & Manufacturing.
The challenge runs all the way to the 30th of November; interested and eligible startups can find more details and submit their challenge proposal here.
- Join the Andela Learning Community in Tanzania. Apply here. Hurry, as applications close in 3 days.
- Join Andela as a Software Developer. Apply here.
- SB Telecoms, an ICT firm building a Human Resource solution, TAMS, is looking to hire a Front-end developer and a UI/UX designer. If you're interested in any of the positions, send your resume through to recruitment[at]sbtelecoms[dot]com.
- A fintech company is looking to hire a Full-stack developer with at least 3 years' experience working with Java. If this role interests you, check out the details and apply.
- Big Cabal Media, the brains behind Tech Cabal; one of the most authoritative tech blogs in Nigeria, is looking to hire a Community Manager for its pan-African technology forum, Radar. If you're interested, check out the details and requirements.
- One Finance, the fintech company behind the consumer lending product, Paylater, is looking to hire amazing people to fill the following roles: Junior Software QA/Support Engineer, Senior Android Developer, and Senior Software Engineer.
- Andela Kenya is hosting a hackathon, Andela News Hackathon: Fighting Fake News, that seeks to combat the production and spread of news that has not been fact-checked. Media practitioners, software developers, designers, and product managers, from all across Nairobi, will spend 24 hours ideating and prototyping solutions to the fake news problem. The hackathon will run from the 9th to the 10th of November. Read all about it here.
- Gatsby is looking to hire an Open Source Maintainer. If you have maintained a repo before, have experience with build tools like Buck and Bazel, and experience with React, NodeJS, and GraphQL, and open source is your thing, apply here.
- Google has announced its 10,000 Grow with Google Developer Scholarships in partnership with Pluralsight and Andela. The Google Developer Scholarships have given many developers in Africa the opportunity to learn and compete at a global level. Let's make it your turn this year. Check out all the details here.
- Opera Pay is looking to hire experienced Telemarketers and Customer Support Executives. You can apply for the Telemarketer and the Customer Support Executive roles. If you know qualified/potentially interested candidates, share this with them.
On Building Things...
To catch up on all upcoming dev related events, be sure to check the forloop.africa/meetups link. Also, if someone cool forwarded this to you, you can just subscribe here to get it in your inbox, going forward. Want to read the archive? Here you go.
This newsletter was written under the influence of Ithaca by Beatenberg.
Retired Superhero. Editor.