I hope you've had a great Wednesday. If you're a Nigerian, I'd like to wish you a belated Happy Independence Day (and also remind you that it's probably the last holiday till Christmas)
On to other stuff;
- Microsoft isn't particularly popular for its hardware event, but today, it unveiled devices and gadgets that may become game-changers in the industry. Also, the tech giant, after having put a hold on phone production years ago, unveiled a foldable, Android-based phone. Check out Surface Pro X, Surface Laptop 3, Surface Pro 7 and Surface Earbuds and other announcements here.
- React Native 0.61 has been released. This new version features a new reloading experience called Fast Refresh. Fast Refresh supports modern React, gracefully recovers after typos, and does not perform invasive code transformations. Find out more here.
- Tensorflow 2.0.0 has been released. The new version focuses on simplicity and ease-of-use, and comes with features such as easy model building with Keras, powerful experimentation for research, API simplification, and more. Check it out here.
- The Tensorflow Team will be touring Africa with the Tensorflow Roadshow through the month of October. The roadshow will feature talks on TensorFlow 2.0 best practices, TF Lite, TF.js, TensorFlow Extended, Model Optimization and much more! The roadshow will be in Nairobi (October 5th), Lagos (October 9th), and Johannesburg (October 12th). Register to attend in your city; don't miss it!
- It's officially Hacktoberfest szn!
The annual, month-long celebration of open source is returning for the 6th year in a row, this October. Here's yet another chance for you, an open-source lover, to change the world one pull request at a time. Check out all the details you need to register and get started here. Limited edition tees are also up for grabs. Don't snooze!
- Gift Egwuenu and @DevCenterSquare have created a learning resource roadmap to guide aspiring Front-end developers in their career from beginner to advanced levels. Check out their carefully curated resources here.
- Don't forget to join VanHack on the 5th of October 2019, as they host tech talents at a meetup in Lagos. The meetup is aimed at equipping software developers, designers, data scientists, and all people in tech looking to work with Canadian and European tech companies, with the necessary information and tips for acing at international technical interviews. If you'd like first-hand tips to help you successfully ship your talent to the North Americas and Europe, save your seat here.
- [Change of date] The Python Community in Nigeria will be hosting their annual conference, PyCon2019NG: Building, Scaling, and Enabling Innovation, from the 30th of October to 2nd of November, 2019 in Abuja. The conference will feature tech talks, tutorials, panels, and workshops. If you're a Pythonista, get your ticket here.
- If you work with media asset management, APIs, and SDKs, it might do you a world of good to join in on the Cloudinary bimonthly webinar.
Whether you are an experienced Cloudinary user that wants to get a refresher, or are brand new to the Cloudinary service, this highly interactive webinar dives into developer-focused APIs and SDKs, showing you how to properly upload, manage and transform your digital content on the Cloudinary platform. Find more details and select your preferred webinar date here.
- Concatenate Conference is 7 days away!
The event is set to hold in Lagos and Nairobi from the 9th to 15th of October. There'll be exciting full-day and half-day workshops, tech talks, breakout sessions and more. Find out more about the schedule here.
Don't forget that you can still donate to the conference as an individual or organization, here.
Jobs & Opportunities
- The iCatalyst iOS Mentorship program is looking to help interested people gain skills in iOS development in a 2-month training. If you already have some Mobile development skills, a Macbook, and some free time, register here.
- PreDiagn, a health-tech startup, is looking to hire a Full-stack web developer. If you'd like to build products for innovation in the health sector, find more information about the opening here.
- AMA Creative is looking to hire a mid-level Android & iOS developer. If this interests you, you can apply here.
- eHealth Africa is hiring to fill Software Developer roles; Frontend, Backend, and Android Development. Find the requirements here and apply.
- BuyPower is looking to hire a Data Analyst. If you love crunching numbers in high-growth environments, check out the requirements and apply.
- Cowrywise is looking to hire a Backend Developer. Check out the requirements here.
- VanHack has listed new openings and opportunities in tech companies in Canada and other parts of the world. Check out the openings for AWS DevOps Engineer, Product Manager, Backend Python Engineer, Senior Android Developer, and more. If you're new to Vanhack, register and create your profile here to begin, and if you're an existing VanHack talent, apply here.
To catch up on all upcoming dev related events, be sure to check the forloop.africa/meetups link. Also, if someone cool forwarded this to you, you can just subscribe here to get it in your inbox, going forward. Want to read the archive? Here you go.
If you believe in Paradise of any sort, you probably know that chores don't exist there. Let Eden Life help you achieve a life without chores today.
Retired Superhero. Editor.