I hope you had an amazing day.
Here's what's cracking,
Last month, in celebration of Hacktoberfest, Digital Ocean asked over 4,000 developers to give their views on open source through a survey. Well, the report is out, and some of the key findings include the reasons for a less than average developer participation in open source projects, and a ranking of the five major tech companies according to their support and investment in open source. Check out the report here.
+ Ionic has announced the alpha release of support for Vue in the framework. Read more about this match made somewhere akin to heaven.
+ Zeit.co has announced Zeit TV, a collection of community learning materials and talks from events and conferences aimed at supporting and cultivating developer communities around the world. Check it out.
+ Don't forget to be at:
The forLoop Ilorin maiden meetup themed, "Starting Your Career As A Developer", on the 24th of November. Book your ticket here.
GDG Ghana, on the 24th of November as they host DevFest Accra 2018. The event will feature Google tech talks and hands-on sessions. To attend, get your ticket here.
DevFest Enugu 2018 themed "Build. Connect. Learn" on the 23rd and 24th of November. The event will bring Google Technology enthusiasts and industry leaders together. Reserve your spot.
Jobs & Opportunities
- The 5th edition of Local Hack Day, ''Learn, build, and share'' by Major League Hacking (MLH) in partnership with NodeJS Africa, will be held on the 1st of December. The global hackathon will feature participants from all around the world. Both beginners and experts are welcome to participate. You can sign up here and find the nearest hackathon location to you.
- Open Banking is looking to hire an intern to help with their ongoing API specification process. The paid internship is set to run for 3months to 12 months. If you're interested, here's a link to apply.
- Terragon Group is looking to hire a Junior Software Developer. If this opening interests you, check out the requirements and apply.
- eHealth Africa is partnering with Kaduna Bureau of Statistics and ColabKD to host a hackathon, KadHack2018: Developing Solutions for Sustainable Social Development in Kaduna. The hackathon seeks to provide innovation and solutions for the Kaduna state education and agriculture sectors. If you feel the call to innovate and compete in this hackathon, sign up here.
- A fintech company is looking to hire a Full-stack developer with at least 3 years' experience working with Java. If this role interests you, check out the details and apply.
- One Finance, the fintech company behind the consumer lending product, Paylater, is looking to hire amazing people to fill the following roles: Junior Software QA/Support Engineer, Senior Android Developer, and Senior Software Engineer.
To catch up on all upcoming dev related events, be sure to check the forloop.africa/meetups link. Also, if someone cool forwarded this to you, you can just subscribe here to get it in your inbox, going forward. Want to read the archive? Here you go.
This newsletter was written under the influence of the longing to be home and asleep.
Retired Superhero. Editor.