I hope you had a productive Wednesday.
November seems so quick on its heels - it's already the 6th day. We should be saying Happy New Year soon.
Here's what I've got for you:
- Git 2.24 has been released. The new version comes with lots of new features including Features macros and a new Code of Conduct to solidify welcoming and inclusive behaviour. Read more about the release here.
- Laravel 6.5 has been released. Check out the release notes to see fixes, changes, and new features.
- Typescript 3.7 has been released. Check out the changes made to the language, compiler, and tooling features. Read the release notes here.
- In this article, Reilly Wood shares what need to know and do to be a .NET and Linux developer in 2019.
- Rust, as a programming language, is growing and progressing rapidly. Following this reality, it is expected that the language will be different from what it is now, next year, and a lot of the difference is partially up to Rust lang users and the community. The Rust development team has put out a Call for Blogs to allow Rust developers to share what they'd like the language to look like in 2020. If you'd like to contribute your ideas to shaping the Rust Language for the near future, check out the requirements for blog focus and submission here.
- She Code Africa has announced a 3-month Cohort-style mentorship and career growth program. The program seeks to pair experienced professionals with beginners to build and grow their tech, soft, and business skills. If you'd like to be a She Code Africa mentor and help beginners get a great headstart in their career journey, sign up here.
- Don't forget to join the Laravel Nigeria Community as they host Nigeria's biggest PHP Conference on the 16th of November 2019.
If you would like to attend the conference, simply RSVP here, now.
- The Open Source Community Africa has announced the first-ever Open Source Festival in Nigeria. The festival is set to take place from the 20th to 22nd of February, 2020. The festival is accepting papers for topics relating to open source in general, and will also encourage speakers to submit talks on what’s new with web development, Hardware & IoT, ML/AL/DL, Technical writing, and Open Source design. If you would like to speak on any of the following, you can submit your paper here.
- If you work with media asset management, APIs, and SDKs, it might do you a world of good to join in on the Cloudinary bimonthly webinar.
Whether you are an experienced Cloudinary user that wants to get a refresher, or are brand new to the Cloudinary service, this highly interactive webinar dives into developer-focused APIs and SDKs, showing you how to properly upload, manage and transform your digital content on the Cloudinary platform. Find more details and select your preferred webinar date here.
Jobs & Opportunities
- Kuda Bank is looking to hire a Database Administrator, Technical Support Specialist, and a QA Engineer. If you'd like to join the digital bank, check out the requirements and apply here.
- Naija Hacks, one of Africa's biggest annual hackathons will be returning for its 2019 edition from the 7th to 14th of December. This year's hackathon will feature pitches, demos, competitions, and award presentation (on the 17th of December). Emerging projects from the hackathon will be matched to related companies and mentors for funding and guidance. Register here to meet and hack with over 1300 hackers across the country, or even be a mentor. Lots of prizes are up for grabs at the completion of the hackathon.
- Qode Hub (Accra) is looking to hire a Mobile App Developer (iOS & Android). If you're interested in this role, send your resume over to careers[at]qodehub[dot]com with the subject Mobile Developer [Your fullname].
- VanHack has listed new openings and opportunities in tech companies in Canada and other parts of the world. Check out the openings for AWS DevOps Engineer, Product Manager, Backend Python Engineer, Senior Android Developer, and more. If you're new to Vanhack, register and create your profile here to begin, and if you're an existing VanHack talent, apply here.
To catch up on all upcoming dev related events, be sure to check the forloop.africa/meetups link. Also, if someone cool forwarded this to you, you can just subscribe here to get it in your inbox, going forward. Want to read the archive? Here you go.
If you believe in Paradise of any sort, you probably know that chores don't exist there. Let Eden Life help you achieve a life without chores today.
Retired Superhero. Editor.