SIX REASONS TO FILL OUT THE 2020 CENSUS
With the Stay-At-Home order in full effect for Mecklenburg County, many have more time than usual. With this time you can help make an astounding impact in your community by simply answering several questions on the 2020 Census. There are many reasons to fill out this important document. We found a PRB.org
article that boiled it down to six convincing reasons why we all need to participate in the 2020 Census.
- Apportionment: State population counts from the decennial census are used to reapportion seats in the U.S. House of Representatives.
- Redistricting: State and local officials use decennial census results to help redraw congressional, state, and local district boundaries.
- Money to States and Localities: Census totals help determine the amount of funding that state governments and local communities receive from the federal government for the next decade.
- Planning: Data from the census inform a wide range of government, business, and nonprofit decisionmaking.
- Emergency Response: Detailed population information is critical for emergency response in the wake of disasters.
- A Base for Federal Surveys: Decennial census data provide a population base for dozens of federal surveys.