Week 4: Tips for Supporting Students
Talk to your student about their future. There are many opportunities for your students to get real world learning experiences before they transition to their post-secondary lives.
Talk to your student and encourage enrollment in Career and Technical Education (CTE) classes
CTE classes help students explore various careers. During the 2016–17 school year, close to 800,000 high school students across California (45%) enrolled in a CTE course.
Encourage students to pursue education opportunities that align to possible career goals
Not every student knows exactly what career they want to explore. Even if they do, there is a chance that it will change. It is important to help students stay open to all the different possibilities.
Students can take classes at community colleges. Many community colleges offer career exploration introductory classes as well as boot camps over the summer.
Encourage students to apply for jobs and internships
- Skyline Summer Boot Camps:
- Biotechnology Summer Camp (7/22/19 to 8/2/19 from 9:30 am to 4 pm)
- Engineering Makerspace Summer Camp (6/25-7/3/19 or 7/8-7/18/19)
- College of San Mateo Summer Camps
- Beginning Cybersecurity Camp (Week of July 8)
- Beginning Cybersecurity Camp (Week of July 15)
- Advanced Camp (Week of July 22)
All students need work experience and/or internship experience not only to build skills for the workforce, but to bolster their college applications. Encourage students to take Career Readiness Workshops to help prepare them to get an internship/job. San Mateo County Office of Education offers these workshops.
There are many internship opportunities during the summer, a time when students don’t necessarily have to choose between studying or learning job skills.
- San Mateo County Office of Education (SMCOE) offers summer internships in five main areas:
- Dental Front Office Internships
- Biotechnology Internships
- Education Internships
- Hospitality Internships
- Business and Finance Internships
- Jobs For Youth offers summer jobs
- Kaiser Permanente’s internship program, KP Launch, connects students to health care careers
- Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) offers high school internships in transportation
- SFO internship opportunity
California Career Zone
Labor and Workforce Development Agency
. . .
"You need to know where you are and who you are because you cannot allow other people to tell you what you are and what you will be." –Marlow
. . .
Visit the San Mateo County Office of Education's website to find out more about CTE Awareness Month.