Tomorrow, February 18th, the Senate Human Service Committee will consider SB 2988- a bill that would require LINK cards (Food Stamp EBT cards) in Illinois to have the name and photo of the primary card holder. The goal of this proposal is to prevent fraud, but history shows that it will instead create more burden on the state and SNAP recipients. As a reminder – SNAP has the lowest fraud rate of any federal assistance program at less than 1% and has faced numerous challenges that are restricting use of this funding for our neighbors that need it most.
Additionally, requiring photos on LINK cards would:
- Impose more barriers on people with limited mobility, such as people with disabilities and older adults: In Illinois, 28 percent of SNAP households include an older adult and 16 percent include someone with a disability.
- Waste taxpayer dollars: Implementing this new system will require the state to investment in new software and hardware systems. With the state’s limited resources, investments should be made in helping people access supports, not creating more barriers.
- NOT prevent fraud: the existing electronic delivery of SNAP benefits is extremely sophisticated and cases of SNAP fraud are already negligible.
You can help stop this bill if you are so inclined by submitting a Witness Slip. Visit the Illinois General Assembly
page and fill out a witness slip:
- Identification – provide your personal information
- Under Firm/Business put either the name of your pantry or "Self"
- Under Title put either your job title or "Self"
- Representation – List either the name of your pantry or "Self"
- Position – Select Opponent
- Testimony – Select Record of Appearance Only
All witness slips are tallied and taken into consideration when our elected officials are considering legislation. Your voice can make a difference for our neighbors – please take a couple minutes and help ensure our neighbors do not have to face unnecessary barriers to food.
Submit your witness slip NOW to OPPOSE SB 2988.
Thank you for your consideration.