- Worship: 8:00 a.m. Spoken Eucharist and 10:15 a.m. Choral Eucharist in the Church; Creative Holy Play for preschool through pre-teen during the 10:15 a.m. service. Lessons can be found here (Feast of the Ascension). The Ventana Choristers will be singing at the 10:15 a.m. service for the final time this school year.
- Choir Rehearsal: 9:00 a.m. in the Church
- The Forum: 9:00 a.m. in the Fireside Room. This week we continue our Book Study of Being Disciples: Essentials of the Christian Life by former Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams. On Sunday we will discuss Chapter 2. Even if you aren't able to read this in advance you're very welcome to join the conversation.
- June 9: Chapters 3 and 4
- June 16: Chapters 5 and 6
- Youth Group: meets after the 10:15 a.m. service.
- Coffee Hour: in the Parish Hall following the 10:15 service.
- Silicon Valley Accordion Society: 1:00 p.m. in the Parish Hall
- Convivium Rehearsal: 5:00 p.m. in the Parish Hall
Yoga on the Lower Lawn TODAY - THURSDAY
Our Monday Yoga teacher, Aska, will be offering a yoga class this afternoon, Thursday, May 30, 4:00-5:00 p.m. on the lower lawn. There's no cost to participants - this class was an item purchased by a parent at the Ventana Auction - and all are welcome!
Ventana’s 5th Grade Graduation Ceremony will be next Thursday, June 6, at 9:00 a.m. Parishioners are invited to attend and celebrate these amazing students as they move on to Middle School!
Viva Handel! Convivium and the Stanford Baroque Soloists
Stanford Memorial Church, Stanford University
Next Thursday, June 6, at 7:30 p.m., Christ Church's Living Harmony concert series offer Viva Handel! The chamber choir Convivium, under the direction of Eric Tuan, joins forces with the Stanford Baroque Soloists, directed by Anthony Martin, in a performance of G.F. Handel's Foundling Hospital Anthem. This moving late work - Handel's final piece of English church music - closes with a rousing reprise of the ever-popular "Hallelujah Chorus" from Messiah.
End of Year BBQ
Join us for the Christ Church and Ventana School end of year/beginning of summer celebration BBQ next Friday, June 7, 4:30 p.m. on the Lower Lawn (grilled food will be available starting at 5:00 p.m.). The Parish will grill hamburgers, hot dogs, as well as a vegetarian option, and provide set up, all the condiments and paper goods. Ventana families will be bringing side dishes and desserts, and the school’s parent organization, VePA, will provide drinks and clean-up support. This event is a great way for our larger community to kick off the summer. Please contact Dennis Hawkins at email@example.com or 408-717-0054 if you'd like to volunteer.
Sunday, June 9, is Pentecost when we mark the coming of the Holy Spirit upon Jesus' disciples and celebrate the birthday of the Church. We have plans to celebrate in several ways that Sunday.
- In most Churches, clergy wear red vestments on Pentecost to signify the work of the Spirit. It eventually became customary in many parishes, including ours, for the congregation to wear red as well. All are invited to wear red to remind us of the fire of the spirit.
- We are very excited to again have Christ Church be the site of a temporary art installation by parishioner Sukey Bryan, an internationally exhibiting painter, printmaker and installation artist. All 12 panels of “The Fire Within” will be installed in our sanctuary in celebration of Pentecost (3 panels shown above). These will go up in the church the week of June 3.
- And what is a birthday celebration without a party and cake?! We will continue our tradition with a Coffee Hour after the 10:15 a.m. service with balloons and special cakes for every month of the year and we will celebrate all of our birthdays along with the Church. Pick your birthday month, or take a nibble from each offering -- Happy Birthday, Christ Church!!!
Organ Recital: Ethan Haman
The final offering of this season's Living Harmony concert series will be on Sunday, June 23, at 4:00 p.m. in the church. Join us for a varied recital of organ works ranging from the Baroque era to the present by Ethan Haman, who served as organist at Christ Church from 2011 to 2015. Haman has played numerous full organ recitals in the San Francisco Bay Area, Salinas, Los Angeles, Reno, and Harvard University, as well as shared concerts in several notable venues such as San Francisco’s Davies Symphony Hall, Stanford University’s Memorial Church, Notre Dame d’Auteuil in Paris, Christ Church Cathedral in Montréal, and Los Angeles’ Union Station. Haman recently graduated from the University of Southern California's Thornton School of Music, where he received joint degrees in pipe organ performance and composition as a Presidential Scholar. In the fall of 2019 he will begin graduate studies in organ performance at Yale University's Institute of Sacred Music.
Save The Date - Upcoming Events
Sunday, June 23, 12:00 p.m.: Vestry Meeting
Wednesday, June 26, 5:30 p.m.: Summer BBQ
Wednesday, July 10, 5:30 p.m.: Summer BBQ
Saturday, July 20, 5:00 p.m.: Family Movie & Pizza Night
Sunday, July 28, 12:00 p.m.: Vestry Meeting
Wednesday, July 31, 5:30 p.m.: Summer BBQ