- Worship: 8:00 a.m. Spoken Eucharist and 10:15 a.m. Choral Eucharist in the Church; Creative Holy Play for preschool through pre-teen during the 10:15 a.m. service. Lessons can be found here.
- Choir Rehearsal: 9:00 a.m. in the Church
- The Forum: 9:00 a.m. in the Fireside Room. This week we begin a four-week Book Study of Being Disciples: Essentials of the Christian Life by former Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams. On Sunday we will discuss the Introduction and Chapter 1. There are still a few donated copies of the book available in the parish office, first come, first served. Even if you aren't able to read this in advance you're very welcome to join the conversation.
- June 2: Chapter 2
- June 9: Chapters 3 and 4
- June 16: Chapters 5 and 6
- Youth Group: meets after the 10:15 a.m. service.
- Coffee Hour and Memorial Day Sing-Along: in the Parish Hall following the 10:15 service. Join us this Sunday for a sing-along of armed forces songs in honor of Memorial Day. Director of Music Eric Tuan and members of the Christ Church choir will guide the singing, and lyric sheets will be provided on each table.
- Convivium Rehearsal: 5:00 p.m. in the Parish Hall
Schola Cantorum Presents Brahms’s Ein deutsches Requiem
Several members of Christ Church's choir are also members of Schola Cantorum, a Silicon Valley choral arts organization. The final concert of the season will be tomorrow, Friday, May 24, 8:00 p.m. at Stanford Memorial Church (free admission). Join them as they celebrate and commemorate the culmination of Gregory Wait’s thirty-year tenure with Schola Cantorum with a performance of the magnificent Brahms’s Ein deutsches Requiem. Brahms’s Requiem focuses on the living — A German Requiem has for many music enthusiasts become an anthem for our time, with grand social and political reverberations. Yet, for Brahms, this work was deeply personal, with the composer himself selecting appropriate texts from the German-language Bible, emphasizing transition from suffering and mourning to comfort.
Women's Group Potluck
Many women have expressed an interest in hearing Mark Bailey speak about Artificial Intelligence (AI) as he did to the Men’s Group on May 7. Bring a friend and dish to share, and join us on Tuesday, May 28, 6:00 p.m., at the home of Alice Larse (119 N. Avalon Drive, Los Altos) to hear Mark speak. All are welcome!
Ventana’s 5th Grade Graduation Ceremony will be next Thursday, June 6, at 9:00 a.m. Parishioners are invited to attend and celebrate these amazing students as they move on to Middle School!
Viva Handel! Convivium and the Stanford Baroque Soloists
Stanford Memorial Church, Stanford University
Next Thursday, June 6, at 7:30 p.m., Christ Church's Living Harmony concert series offer Viva Handel! The chamber choir Convivium, under the direction of Eric Tuan, joins forces with the Stanford Baroque Soloists, directed by Anthony Martin, in a performance of G.F. Handel's Foundling Hospital Anthem. This moving late work - Handel's final piece of English church music - closes with a rousing reprise of the ever-popular "Hallelujah Chorus" from Messiah.
End of Year BBQ
Join us for the Christ Church and Ventana School end of year/beginning of summer celebration BBQ next Friday, June 7, 4:30 p.m. on the Lower Lawn (grilled food will be available starting at 5:00 p.m.). The Parish will grill hamburgers, hot dogs, as well as a vegetarian option, and provide set up, all the condiments and paper goods. Ventana families will be bringing side dishes and desserts, and the school’s parent organization, VePA, will provide drinks and clean-up support. This event is a great way for our larger community to kick off the summer.
Sunday, June 9, is Pentecost when we mark the coming of the Holy Spirit upon Jesus' disciples and celebrate the birthday of the Church. We have plans to celebrate in several ways that Sunday.
- In most Churches, clergy wear red vestments on Pentecost to signify the work of the Spirit. It eventually became customary in many parishes, including ours, for the congregation to wear red as well. All are invited to wear red to remind us of the fire of the spirit.
- We are very excited to again have Christ Church be the site of a temporary art installation by parishioner Sukey Bryan, an internationally exhibiting painter, printmaker and installation artist. All 12 panels of “The Fire Within” will be installed in our sanctuary in celebration of Pentecost (3 panels shown above). These will go up in the church the week of June 3.
- And what is a birthday celebration without a party and cake?! We will continue a our tradition with a Coffee Hour after the 10:15 a.m. service with balloons and special cakes for every month of the year and we will celebrate all of our birthdays along with the Church. If you are able to contribute a cake, please contact Patti White and let her know what month you would like (email@example.com). Pick your birthday month, or take a nibble from each offering -- Happy Birthday, Christ Church!!!
Organ Recital: Ethan Haman
The final offering of this season's Living Harmony concert series will be on Sunday, June 23, at 4:00 p.m. in the church. Join us for a varied recital of organ works ranging from the Baroque era to the present by Ethan Haman, who served as organist at Christ Church from 2011 to 2015. Haman has played numerous full organ recitals in the San Francisco Bay Area, Salinas, Los Angeles, Reno, and Harvard University, as well as shared concerts in several notable venues such as San Francisco’s Davies Symphony Hall, Stanford University’s Memorial Church, Notre Dame d’Auteuil in Paris, Christ Church Cathedral in Montréal, and Los Angeles’ Union Station. Haman recently graduated from the University of Southern California's Thornton School of Music, where he received joint degrees in pipe organ performance and composition as a Presidential Scholar. In the fall of 2019 he will begin graduate studies in organ performance at Yale University's Institute of Sacred Music.
Save The Date - Upcoming Events
Sunday, June 23, 12:00 p.m.: Vestry Meeting
Wednesday, June 26, 5:30 p.m.: Summer BBQ
Wednesday, July 10, 5:30 p.m.: Summer BBQ
Saturday, July 20, 5:00 p.m.: Family Movie & Pizza Night
Sunday, July 28, 12:00 p.m.: Vestry Meeting
Wednesday, July 31, 5:30 p.m.: Summer BBQ