- The Rev. Kacei Conyers will be our celebrant at both services and Rev. Claire will be preaching.
- The altar flowers have donated by Karen and Allen Rudolph in honor of their mother Betty.
- The Ventana School Choristers will be singing at the 10:15 a.m. service.
- Boy Scout Troop 30 Pancake Breakfast: 9:00 a.m. in the Parish Hall. All are welcome! To celebrate Scout Sunday, and to say thank you to our parish, Troop 30 will be serving a pancake breakfast 9:00-10:00 a.m. The 9:00 Forum is cancelled for this Sunday. Stay after the 8:00 a.m. service or come early for the 10:15 a.m. service and enjoy a hot breakfast! \
- CSA Food Drive: Donations can be dropped off at either service. CSA is in need of healthy and nutritious non-perishable items, including boxes of cereal, oatmeal, pop-top canned food items (fruits, vegetables, meat, etc.), flour, oil, condiments, salad dressings, etc. CSA no longer wants bulk packaged items that they have to divide out into individual packages - no 10 lb bags of rice, no restaurant size mustard dispensers. Please keep items to individual family sized packaging - yes to 10 individual cans of tuna packaged together as this is essentially individual cans.
- Sunday Worship: 8:00 a.m. Eucharist in the Church; 10:15 a.m. Choral Eucharist in the Church; Creative Holy Play for preschool through pre-teen during the 10:15 a.m. service; Youth Group meets after the 10:15 a.m. service.
- Choir Rehearsal: 9:00 a.m. in the Church
- Coffee Hour: in the Parish Hall following the 10:15 service
- Sunday Seven Band Rehearsal: 1:30 p.m. in the Parish Hall
- Convivium Rehearsal: 5:00 p.m. in the Parish Hall
- AA: 8:00 p.m. Co-Ed Step Study Group in the Fireside Room
- Sunday's lesson can be found online by clicking here.
Rise Against Hunger Meal Packing Service Event -- TOMORROW!
Join members of the Christ Church and Ventana School community on Saturday, February 9, 10:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m. as we package meals to serve an impoverished community through Rise Against Hunger, an international aid organization. Last year this proved to be a fun, energizing and inspiring event as we came together to make a positive impact and provide food for over 10,000 families. This is a family-friendly service opportunity and children of all ages (see photos from last year) are encouraged to participate - there is something for everyone to do. Your RSVP will help us to plan for the correct number of packaging stations and to ensure we have enough snacks and supplies for everyone. Please click here to register to take part in this community event.
Cantabile Premiering Original Piece by Eric Tuan - THIS WEEKEND!
The Cantabile Youth Singers of Silicon Valley, whose top performing groups rehearse on our campus (see more information below), will be premiering a new piece by our music director Eric Tuan this weekend. The performances, which are a collaboration with professional vocal octet Gaude, take place on Saturday, February 9 (7:30 pm) at Noe Valley Ministry in San Francisco, and on Sunday, February 10 (7:30 pm) at First United Methodist Church in Palo Alto. More information can be found here. Eric's new piece, titled "From the Window of Despair," explores poetry written in the Japanese-American internment camps - a story that is closely bound up with the Christ Church community as well.
Men's Group Fellowship and Dinner
The Christ Church Men’s Group will be having their next dinner on Tuesday, February 12, at 6:00 p.m. Mark your calendars and plan to be there for a great dinner, fellowship and our guest speaker, Rev. Claire -- Who is that Woman Behind the Collar: Rev. Claire Tells All. Meal donations of $10 are suggested. All are welcome!. For planning purposes, please RSVP to Bob Stanfield (email@example.com).
NEW Monthly Yoga Class
Starting on Saturday, February 23, 10:30-11:45 a.m., we will be delighted to offer a monthly Sacred Heart Yoga Class meeting every fourth Saturday of the month in the Chapel (additional classes on March 23, April 27 and May 25 through the Spring). Sacred Heart Yoga combines heart-centered spoken prayer with gentle stretching movements and provides a pathway to inner peace, wisdom, divine guidance, wholeness, and an ever-deepening connection to God within. This form of yoga embodies the original Aramaic Lord's Prayer of Jesus and is often considered less physically demanding than hatha or vinyasa yoga, with which many people are more familiar. The class will be led by Joan Loney, a certified Sacred Heart Yoga Instructor and friend of the parish. A $15 suggested donation will be welcome but don't let that keep you from coming to the class. Bring a yoga mat and wear light comfortable clothing that allows for freedom of movement (we'll have some extra mats on hand if you don't have your own). A blanket and/or cushion are optional. All are welcome!
It's hard to believe that Lent is nearly upon us! Lent offers a time of reflection and self-examination in anticipation of the dawning joy of Easter. The 40-day season begins on Ash Wednesday, March 6, with the imposition of ashes, a somber reminder of our mortality, and Eucharist at 6:00 p.m. in the Church. If you are unable to attend services that evening, we welcome you to get your "Ashes to Go" from Rev. Claire at 12 noon in downtown Los Altos outside the Starbucks at the corner of Main Street and Second Street.
Still I Rise: A Program for International Women's Day
The next offering in our Living Harmony: Arts at Christ Episcopal Church concert series will be on Saturday, March 9 at 4:00 p.m. Celebrate international Women's Day in song and story with the uplifting and virtuosic voices of Convivium. Inspired by Maya Angelou's beloved poem "Still I Rise," the program weaves together music by some of today's leading female composers with poetry by women of color. The music includes Melissa Dunphy's powerful reflection on the immigrant experience, American DREAMers; Anna Thorvaldsdottir's stunning setting of an old Icelandic psalm; and works by Meredith Monk, Rosephanye Powell, Elizabeth Alexander, and Ysaÿe M. Barnwell.
Cantabile Youth Singers' Northern Lights Gala Concert
As many of you may be aware, we have begun a relationship with the Cantabile Youth Singers of Silicon Valley. They are using our parish hall for rehearsals on Monday and Thursday evenings, and Eric Tuan, our music director, has composed a piece for them which they will premiere at an upcoming choral convention. Cantabile will be holding its annual Gala Concert, Dinner and Fundraising Auction on Saturday, March 9, at 6:00 p.m. For more information and to purchase tickets, click here.
CSA Empty Bowls Soup Supper XXVIII
Homelessness affects many people in our community. Empty Bowls Soup Supper provides a unique and cost-effective opportunity for us to help. On Sunday, March 10, Community Services Agency (CSA) will be hosting the 2019 Empty Bowls Soup Supper. Join us for soup, salad, cake and beverage and take home an original handcrafted ceramic bowl! This popular community event will be held at the Central Seventh Day Adventist Church, 1425 Springer Road, Mountain View. New this year, there will be two seatings, 3:00-4:30 p.m. and 5:00-6:30 p.m. Early bird ticket rates through February 28 (prices increase $5 on March 1): $25 for seniors; $35 adults and teens 12+; $10 for children under 12. Tickets can be purchased here. Funds raised benefit CSA’s Homeless Prevention Services Program.
Save The Date - Upcoming Events
Saturday, February 9, 10:00 a.m.: Rise Against Hunger Service Event
Sunday, February 10: Scout Sunday Pancake Breakfast; Ventana School Choristers sing with the Parish Choir at the 10:15 a.m. service
Tuesday, February 12, 6:00 p.m.: Men's Group Dinner and Fellowship
Tuesday, March 5: Shrove Tuesday Pancake Dinner
Wednesday, March 6, 12:00 p.m.: Ashes to Go in Downtown Los Altos
Wednesday, March 6, 6:00 p.m.: Ash Wednesday Service
Saturday, March 9, 4:00 p.m.: Living Harmony Presents Still I Rise: A Program for International Women's Day
Wednesdays, March 13-April 10: Soup Dinner and Lenten Study
Saturday, April 13, 4:00 p.m.: Living Harmony Presents Evensong with The Girls' Choir of St Catharine's College, Cambridge
Sunday, April 14-Sunday, April 21: Holy Week Services
Saturday, April 27: Rebuilding Together Service Event