How To Choose A Contractor
Building a new home is one of the most important investments you can make in your life. That's why, along with selecting the right building materials, it's important to make the extra effort to find the right professional contractor.
When selecting a professional contractor to build your new home, below are some helpful tips to consider.
- Make sure the contractor has a good reputation. Check for references and call a few of them.
- Make sure the contractor has adequate insurance coverage. Protect your home from accidental damage.
- Does the contractor provide a written estimate? Including an accurate description of the work to be performed, plus work that may have to be contracted out.
- Does the contractor explain the entire process? Your home will be built in phases and you should know about all of them.
- Does the contractor know, explain and comply with local building codes? Local codes determine the process that builders should follow.
- Does the contractor commit to supervising the job during all phases of the work and inspect it thoroughly when finished?
- Does the contractor thoroughly clean up your home when finished?
- Does the contractor explain both the workmanship and manufacturer’s warranties?
- Does the contractor offer additional warranty coverage?
- Does the contractor use quality building materials?