Dear Friends in Christ,
The city has another public meeting planning for discussion of Touchstone's plans for the new building and again, we can and should comment. This is URGENT for us to be heard.
The meeting is scheduled for 8 MAR 2021.
- If you wish to comment on the final proposal as it exists now, you can do so via email to PRC@seatttle.gov
You must include the following so the City knows how to apply your comments: Project Number 3034779-LU – 4536 Brooklyn Ave NE.
- You can also snail-mail your comments to
Seattle Department of Construction and Inspections
ATTN: Public Resource Center
700 Fifth Ave, Ste 2000
P.O. Box 34019 Seattle, WA 98124-4019
Again, be sure to include " Project Number 3034779-LU – 4536 Brooklyn Ave NE"
Whichever option you choose, please PLEASE speak up for our church and our place in the neighborhood.
The City offers these guidelines for effective comments -
To submit an effective comment:
- Review the project file and plans
- Explain your interest in the project
- Provide additional site or context information that you think is important
- State your concerns for aspects of the proposal
If you're interested in looking through the design packet, you can navigate to the "attachments" tab near the top, and find the document called "Design Review Recommendation Proposal - Final.pdf"; look for the one uploaded on February 25, 2021
. You may have to navigate to the last page to find it.
Initial comments from Hillis Clark -
- Church shares staff’s concerns after Recommendation Meeting #1 with minimal response to design considerations relating to significant departure requests, including the upper level setback requirement (Departure #2). Staff requested that the applicant study whether additional setback can be provided along the north property edge. Applicant’s proposal for one additional foot at the upper level (from 1’ to 2’) seems nominal for such a sizable request. SDCI should require more justification as to why this departure should be granted as proposed. [See p. 50]
- Staff further requested that the applicants provide window studies and graphics at the north edge. The applicants response to this request provides minimal detail. The Church sanctuary will be significantly impacted by massing of proposed structure. Per Guideline CS2-D-5 adjacent properties should be respected. This guideline is not met. [See pp 22-23]
- The proposed brick and lighting treatment at ground level to purportedly provide lighting of the sanctuary stained glass is of questionable benefit to the church given that the majority of church services are performed during the daytime. Such an effect may light the windows at night, but will not permit more light or air into the sanctuary when needed most. [See p. 23]
- Church has made numerous comments about light, air and shadow impacts to the church sanctuary with request for additional relief. The church is disappointed that the applicant’s response ahead of Recommendation Meeting #2 does not go far enough to address these concerns. Again, this building will sit just south of our church, and the builders have the right to build just up to the property line, unless we convince the City that that's not a good idea!
It is URGENT that we respond to Touchstone's proposed response to protect our building and our ministry in the U District!.
Pat Hyland, Sr. Warden