What it is: This program is designed to assist downtown businesses in making exterior renovations to their front facades. It will provide for matching 1 to 1 reimbursement grants for façade improvements in the Borough of Hellertown up to a maximum amount of $10,000 per property.
Up to $3,000 of the $10,000 maximum in grant funding can be used for Streetscape-level improvements to your property, whereby you can receive one dollar in façade grant money for every two dollars you invest into these types of improvements.
Why invest: The Façade Program is intended to stimulate private investment in the preservation of historic downtown architecture and to foster image-making improvements to properties.
- Benefits to property owners include: Higher rents, more stable leases, increased occupancy rates, improved marketability and higher property values.
- Benefits to business owner include: Increased sales, improve image and visibility of your business, increases exposure, creates an inviting atmosphere and reduce overhead.
- Benefits to the community include: Help create a sense of place, enhance safety and cleanliness, recruit better employees, develop a more stable tax base and reduce pressure for sprawl development.
Eligible properties: Any business or business property owner (excluding government or non-profit entities) within the following map are eligible:
Project Boundaries: On Main Street: from Walnut Street through Kichline Avenue
On Water Street: from Front Street to Delaware Avenue
All of Front Street: from E. Thomas Avenue to Walnut Street
(Require a $1 match for every grant $1 – maximum of a $10,000 grant allocation)
- Eligible Facade Level Activities
Brick and Stone Masonry, Architectural Metals, Doors, Windows, Exterior Woodwork, Storefronts, Signage, Painting, Awnings, Lighting, Shutters, Power Washing, Roofing , Gutters, Design Assistance (see “Eligible Activities” Section in the Policies and Procedures document for more detailed information)
(Require a $2 match for every grant $1 – up to a $3,000 grant allocation, which counts towards the $10,000 maximum per property)
- Eligible Streetscape Level Activities
Sidewalks, street trees, fences, retaining walls, other site improvements (as approved on a case by case basis)
Landscaping (with the exception of street trees), benches, trash cans, paving, parking lots, and sandblasting are not eligible activities.
- Review guidelines
- File Notice of Intent to Apply form (complete); await word on eligibility
- Pursue Design Assistance (not required – but encouraged)
- Fill out a formal application for a Façade Grant
- Façade Grants are awarded by the Hellertown Planning Commission; await word on the status of your application
- Complete a reimbursement agreement (if project is approved)
- Begin construction (please note – any work completed before the reimbursement agreement is signed will not be eligible for reimbursement)
- Complete construction, obtain all necessary materials and submit for a reimbursement check
- Receive reimbursement check
For more information: Please note that this is only a general overview of this program. For a full copy of the policies and procedures, please visit hellertownborough.org or request a copy at borough hall.