"Young People's Mental Health in 2020" Report by Mental Health America: Hope, Advocacy, and Action for the Future
The "Young People’s Mental Health In 2020" Report by Mental Health America: Hope, Advocacy, and Action for the Future: This new report shares the perspectives of 1,906 14-24-year-olds who completed MHA’s Young People’s Mental Health Survey through their online screening program, MHAScreening.org. Highlights from the survey include the following:
The Voices of Wisconsin Students Project: Learning, Coping, and Building Resilience during COVID-19 (Online Focus Group for Youth)
- The top resources young people requested to support their mental health
- Young people’s beliefs about training adults for mental health challenges vs. learning to help themselves
- The percentage of 14-18-year-olds who are and are not hopeful about the future
- The top ways young people want support to make a difference
The Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS), in partnership with the Medical College of Wisconsin and the University of Wisconsin’s (UW) Wisconsin Institute for Public Policy and Service (WIPPS) Research Partners, is providing youth (6th-12th grade) from across Wisconsin an opportunity to share their thoughts, concerns, and insights on the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on students. These will be online focus groups via Zoom. They are particularly seeking to increase the number of students of color participating as well as increasing the number of middle school students from Milwaukee and Racine and other urban areas.
2021-2023 School-Based Mental Health Grant Competition (DPI) - May 3 Deadline
2021-2023 School-Based Mental Health Grant Competition (DPI): This grant program was created to provide grant funding for two years to public school districts and independent charter schools (and consortium of these) to work with community mental health providers to create comprehensive school-based mental health systems.
- Application materials are anticipated to be posted by the end of January 2021 on the grant website. The website also includes an FAQ document, requirements for consideration, a short video with a needs assessment process, more information about a future grant-writing webinar, and more.
School Mental Health Navigator Committee Resource Repository
- Applications will be due May 3, 2021 and the application process will be online submission only.
School Mental Health Navigators’ compiled resources: The Coalition for Expanding School-Based Mental Health in Wisconsin's School Mental Health Navigators Community of Practice were asked to share their favorite go-to resources and contacts in school mental health this fall. All resources have been linked and compiled in this document for convenience and accessibility.
School Mental Health Virtual Learning Series by the National Center for School Mental Health
School Mental Health Virtual Learning Series by The National Center for School Mental Health: This series for the 2020-2021 academic year focuses on advancing sustainable school mental health from a multi-tiered, trauma sensitive, and culturally responsive and equitable lens. Upcoming webinars include the following:
- Wednesday, February 3, 2021, 2:00-3:00pm CST: Addressing Systemic Racism: Creating Safe and Equitable Schools Register
- Wednesday, March 3, 2021, 2:00-3:00pm CST: Safe and Equitable Schools: Tier II Interventions and Considerations Register
- Wednesday, April 7, 2021, 2:00-3:00pm CST: National Association of School Psychologists: School-Community Partnerships Register
- Wednesday, May 5, 2021, 2:00-3:00pm CST: Youth MOVE: Leveraging Youth Advocacy Register
- Wednesday, June 2, 2021, 2:00-3:00pm CST: Supporting Students Impacted by Racial Stress and Trauma Register
There are many opportunities to engage with Coalition partners to promote our collective mission to advance and support expanded, comprehensive and integrated mental health services within the school setting through school, home, and community partnerships. Reach out to learn more - firstname.lastname@example.org. Check out our calendar of events, including information on our June 2021 Summit coming soon!