Our Birthday gift card drawing took place
and the winner of the $44.00 gift card is
Alex Goren! Congratulations!
Thank you again for the wonderful birthday wishes!
The Ypsilanti Food Co-op couldn't do it
without all of our wonderful members & customers!
Here's to another 44 years!
(Steve Somers is one of our great board members for the Ypsilanti Food Coop)
Terra Naturals Designs
(Purses, Scarves, Hair Accessories, Wallets)
Terra Natural Designs seek the integration of Social Justice and Conscious Consumption. Offering sustainable alternatives in the Fashion and Gift Industries by using renewable and sustainable materials that help protect and preserve the Amazon Rainforest, while creating opportunities for indigenous cultures in South America to preserve and practice their traditional crafts.
Terra Naturals helps and empowers indigenous women to create a future for themselves through meaningful work with a sustainable network of important clients.
Cinco De Mayo:
Cinco De Mayo is just around the corner and the Co-op Kitchen is busy
preparing some tasty authentic treats including:
-Mexican Spiced Chocolate Cake(Vegan)
-Mexican Street Corn Salad
-Chipotle Black Bean Dip
-Creamy Jalapeno Dip & More
-Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas(Vegan & Gluten Free)
Stay tuned to our cooler for these offering and more beginning next week!
Ypsilanti Food Co-op Bakery Update:
Seasonal breads are being baked now including hamburger/hotdog buns for all your grilling needs!
And don't forget the focaccias,
( a type of soft flat Italian style bread made with yeast and olive oil)
topped with yummy goodies!
Great for a snack or a pasta dinner!
Focaccias & Buns baked fresh Tuesdays and Fridays!
April's Cheese of the Month
Reny Picot Brie Wheels from Benton Harbor, MI
Save $1.00 off
Now $4.99 ea
Reg: $5.99 ea
Hurry in! Only one week left to enjoy this great price!
Read more about Reny Picot & their story here:https://oldeuropecheese.com/about/
Garden-Fresh Asparagus Soup
6 appetizer servings, 1 generous cup each
This lemony asparagus soup is spiced with a touch of curry and gets added richness from "lite" coconut milk and creamy red potatoes. Top it with a dollop of crème fraîche or plain yogurt and serve warm or chilled.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon, divided
- 2 cups diced peeled red potatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup “lite” coconut milk
- 2 cups 1/2-inch pieces trimmed asparagus, (about 1 bunch)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup crème fraîche, or reduced-fat sour cream (see Note)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped scallion greens, or fresh chives
- Melt butter and oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in curry powder, ginger, lemon zest and potatoes and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes. Stir in broth, coconut milk and asparagus. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, partially cover and continue to cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender or a regular blender (in batches) until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Season with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Whisk crème fraîche (or sour cream), lemon juice and scallion greens (or chives) in a small bowl and garnish with a swirl of it.
Tips & Notes
Crème fraîche is a tangy, thick, rich cultured cream commonly used in French cooking. Find it in the dairy section of large supermarkets, usually near other specialty cheeses. Sour cream can be used as a substitute, or you can make your own lower-fat version by combining equal portions of reduced-fat sour cream and nonfat plain yogurt.
203 calories, 13 g. fat, 14 mg. cholesterol, 444 mg. sodium, 19 g. carbohydrate, 3 g. fiber, 4 g. protein