"No Gifts Please, Your Presence is Your Present."
We've all seen this line on invitations, and we all roll our eyes in unison. However, there is major truth to this saying when we take it beyond our physical presence and include our full mindful presence as well.
But how can you become more mindfully present??? Glad you asked...
- Put it ALL away. Get the technology completely out of reach so you will not be tempted to use it.
- You can rest assured that Facebook will not come to a halt without your likes and Trump's Tweets will not be silenced without your comments.
Use All Five Senses
- Take a breath or two and really hear what you’re hearing around you. Look around and really see what you’re seeing.
- Practice mindful eating. What are you tasting? Smelling? Touching? Chew your food. Taste your food. Smell your food. Your loved ones have spent a lot of time preparing your meal so take the time to enjoy it.
Engage in Active Listening
- People hurry through the holiday gatherings with countless conversations, but almost always miss the message. There is too much hearing without listening (cheers Paul Simon) so let's take an active role in really listening this year.
- Try to not formulate a response to what someone is saying, but instead, just listen. No advice, no opinion, no reaction, just listen.
Are you with me so far my festive little Buddhas???