There is a smattering of sunshine and warmth in the air and it's the time of year that I always start wanting to get sailing. This year is no difference, if anything worse! Once again this newsletter is jam packed, so read right to the end!
There has been some impressive planning by members of the Gen Comm to work around the challenges that Covid keeps throwing at us. The effort they have all put in is immense and i'm really excited that sailing is starting imminently! We are pleased to say that the sailing, social and training programmes have been pulled together by Paul Robbins, Claire Perkins, Sean Coomber and their respective teams - well done and thank you to you all. The programmes will be sent out as soon as possible and will be subject to change.
First things first:
Lift In has been rescheduled to Thursday 29th April.
Dinghies however can get sailing! Hurrah! In addition to the three club wayfarers available to hire, in a break from tradition (for this year only....) we will welcome dinghies down to the club at any point from now. They will be stored where ever there is space including on the front of the club and between lifted vessels. If you are bringing your dinghy down before lift in please drop Adam Gray (email@example.com) an email so that we can keep an eye on space and arrangements. If you don't think you will sail your dinghy before lift in, please don't bring it down. There is limited space. If this catches you out on a day you want to sail, please contact me and i'll find you a boat to borrow if the club wayfarers are all out.
Next events (subject to gov guidelines):
- Saturday 13th March: Pictionary-style zoom. Contact Claire (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Thursday 18th March: Virtual K&N: Dinghy Cruising: Escapades in the Estuary. Contact Kevin (K&N@gravesendsc.org.uk)
- Thursday 8th April: Virtual K&N: topic TBC. Contact Kevin (K&N@gravesendsc.org.uk)
- Sunday 11th April: GSC Safety Boat familiarisation day. Contact Sean (email@example.com)
- Saturday 17th April: Dinghy 1. Contact Paul Robbins (sailing@) or Chris Smith (raceduties@) if you can help with safety/race officer
- Wednesday 21st April: Dink about evening. Contact Sean (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Saturday 1st May: Spring Plate and Sail Past (N.B. due to restrictions, we will focus on starting the season as we mean to go on: by sailing. We will hold the Commodore's reception later in the season)
A big well done to our Publicity Officer, Liz James, who has hit the ground running and got an article in the Kent Messenger already! For those who haven't seen it, it is also available online. Please do share the article, pictures or news with friends and family to spread the news about our wonderful little club on the Thames. It'll help you fulfil the challenge I set: for all members to bring a non-member down for a visit at some point in 2021.
I wonder who will get their boat to the club first and whether they will beat Ozone Friendly down there...