|Hive of Activity
This building still stands on the eastern corner of Bridge and Harrison streets. This photo was probably taken between 1912 and 1920. S. Chester and Rowena Opdycke opened their store in 1912. Cornelius and Bessie Hofff added men's clothing to their merchandise in 1920 and the signage doesn't mention it. The Hoffs were not lazy, so let's guess their signage was up to date. The men in uniform are probably members of the Frenchtown Cornet Band, which played whenever patriotic bunting was hung out. The Hunterdon Independent was a weekly newspaper 1871-1942. The Hummer store and undertaking establishment was established in the 1870s. Charles Hummer was the owner when this photo was taken. Now those storefronts are occupied by Robert Jennings Design, Early Bird Espresso & Mercantile, and Modern Love.
– Rick Epstein of Frenchtown Walking Tours
(Photo courtesy of Dave Miller)