What is the Galway Waterways Initiative?
The Galway Waterways Initiative is a non-affiliated group of local organisations that have an interest in the rivers and canals of Galway City. The objects of the initiative are to raise awareness of Galway’s waterways, to see them better maintained, and to enhance them for the benefit of the residents of Galway, its visitors, and the natural environment.
What are the mid-term objectives of the Initiative?
- Create one or more new walkways along the canals
- Develop better signage and heritage markers for the network of waterways and other points of interest around the city
- Clean up and plant specific sections of the canal banks and adjacent land
- Create an example of the potential for showcasing Galway as the City of Water & Light
- Create an example of hydro-power generation
- Host a public workshop in late Spring to craft a community vision for the waterways
- Conduct a public information campaign to raise awareness of the history and importance to Galway of its rivers and canals
We have chosen these particular objectives because they are achievable without a huge investment of money. However they will take community commitment and participation. Once we have shown what is possible we can develop a more imaginative and ambitious vision for all of our rivers and canals.