Friday Flyer - September 6, 2019
17- Poultry Judging Workshop 4-5:15 pm
19-22 Southern Regional Teen Leadership Conference (SRTLC)
23- District Council Meeting, Duval, 6pm
24- Poultry Judging Workshop 4-5:15 pm
30 - Livestock Judging 1, Callahan Office 6pm
1- Poultry Judging Workshop 4-5:15 pm
5- Traders Hill Event, 10 am -3 pm
7 - Livestock Judging 2, Florida Horse Ranch 6pm
10-20- NEFL Fair
22- Hippology, 6pm Kozland Farm
Welcome to the 2019-2020 4-H Year!
We are so excited to begin a new year with your family. If you are new this year, welcome to the 4-H family; If you are returning, welcome back!
This year we are going to continue our good work by providing research-based education and a supportive network that benefits our youth in Nassau County. Last year we were able to reach over 5,000 local youth and generated enough scholarship money to not turn away any child. We believe that as a team we can continue to make Nassau County 4-H better every day.
Most of our program offerings will not change, but we are offering new short-term and one-night workshops to help address any weaknesses. We have been listening to the needs and advice given and we do plan on acting on as many opportunities as we can. However, we need volunteers to help champion these events. If you are interested in helping host a specialty event, reach out and we'll get the ball rolling.
As always, if you need anything please don't hesitate to reach out!
For a general annual calendar go HERE
For Club Contacts go HERE
2019 Fair Information
- October 10-20
- A reminder to be our best selves at the fair
- all participants must be re-enrolled in 4-H Online and be paid members to show animals.
- What are Fair Points and how do I get a form?
- 10/9 Receive dairy goats, dairy cattle, poultry, and rabbits
- 10/10 Enter Exhibits for Home Arts, 8am - 5pm. Judged 10 am on 10/11
- 10/14 Poultry Judging Contest, registration opens at 5:30 pm
- 10/15 receive youth market animals, 12 - 4pm
- 10/18 Livestock Judging, registration opens 8:30 am
- Looking to bring home the blue? Here's some tips!
Poultry Judging Workshop
- Hosted by the wonderful Mrs. Wanda!
- Covers everything you need to know to bring home the blue!
- Including: Live bird judging, external egg quality, parts identification, internal egg quality, and carcass judging
- 9/17, 9/24, and 10/1 from 4-5:15 at the Callahan Extension Office
- Youth must attend all sessions to be eligible for the next year's fair point
Livestock Judging Workshop
- September 30, 6pm - Callahan Extension Office
- October 7, 6pm - Florida Horse Ranch
- Youth must attend BOTH sessions to be eligible for the next year's fair point
- This year we will have give-a-ways!
- We will cover the basics of livestock judging, why it's important, and discuss swine, lamb, and cattle judging
- Hippology is the study of horses. That's right, a place just to geek out over equines! We will cover a myriad of topics including anatomy, physiology, behavior, equipment, management, and training. Hippology is designed for youth ages 10+ and offers a state competition for youth ages 11 and up. Our meetings are mixed between classroom learning and hands-on lessons with our partnership barn, Appy Acres.
- Our next meeting is October 22, 6pm at Kozland Farm
- For more information about this program, contact Ms. Kelsey at 904-530-6354 or firstname.lastname@example.org!
Traders Hill "Back to the Farm" Event
- October 5, 10 am -3 pm
- Our friends at Traders Hill have invited all of our 4-H'ers to set up and teach the public about "what is 4-H". You are also welcome to advertise your market animals for the Fair, bring animals to show, invite new people to join, and so on!
- We have been given a 1/2 acre (fenced in), so get creative!
- Bring activities, project examples, educational stations, and what else you feel would help spread awareness
- All project areas/clubs are invited, not just Ag
- Helping at a table will be a Fair Point
- TO RSVP: call our office and put your name on the list.
Small Ruminant Workshop
The North Florida Livestock Agents Group (NFLAG) is hosting their annual Small Ruminant Workshop at the UF Beef Teaching Unit on Saturday September 21 from 8:30 - 3pm.
Topics that will be covered this year are:
- Maximizing Grazing Management
- Weed Managment/Toxic Weeds
- Cool Season Forages
- Understanding Pesticides
- Herd Health: Tools for the Toolbox Fecal Egg Counting for Sheep & Goat Producers
- Famacha Training
- Sheep and Goat Udder Care
- Sheep and Goat Qualilty Assurance Practices
- Basic Herd Health: Vet Boxes and Hoof Care
Project & Record Books
- Need a project or record book? Call or swing by our office to pick yours up!
- Only Full members can receive books
- Remember, only 1 project book can be given out at a time but you can have multiple record books
- Always due June 1st to the office WITH the completed reports
CLUB MEETING DATES
Callahan Country Kids: 9/16, 11/18, 12/2, 1/6, 2/10 at 7 PM- Extension Office
Town & Country:
Barnyard & Beyond:
Hilliard Back 40:
Nassau County Archery:
CMS Earth Warriors:
Zooming In Photography: