Friday Flyer - November 8, 2019
7-17 Jacksonville Fair
15- Tropicana, 6:30 pm
18-19- Agent at Conference
21- YET Graduation
26- Hippology, Barn
26- Float Decorating, 6:30
3- Float Decorating, 6:30
5 - County Council Meeting
5- Officer Training - 6pm
6- Final Float Decorating, 6:30
6-8 Leadership Adventure Weekend
7- Callahan Christmas Parade
17- Hippology, Extension Office
20- Holiday Party
20- Registration for Day at the Capitol Closes
31- Horse Program Forms Due
Meet Mr. Ted!
Hello, my name is Ted Karsch. I am the new 4-H Extension agent for Nassau County. Prior to becoming your 4-H agent, I worked at West Nassau High School as a Spanish teacher for five years. My first day on the job was November 1st. Prior to working as a Spanish teacher, I was a teacher of English as a second language at a private language school in Ft. Lauderdale.
I am passionate about teaching and my biggest goal is to reach as many young people as possible in the community with relevant, creative and engaging learning programs. In addition, I am eager to use my Spanish language abilities to reach out to the Latino communities living in Nassau County.
Please contact me directly by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the extension office at 904-530-6350.
I look forward to working with all the inspiring members of the Nassau 4-H community.
4-H of the Month!
Callahan Parade Float Decorating
- Come join us for the annual Callahan Float Decorating!
- 12/26, 6:30 pm
- 12/3, 6:30 pm. Bring $5 for pizza dinner
- 12/6, 6:30 final build day!
- 12/7, parade!
- Remember, you must attend at least 1 building day to be eligible to ride the float and must attend either 2 building days or 1 building day & ride to count as your fair point.
- Bernie Clayton Insurance has sponsored this year's application! Thank you, Bernie!
- Contact Ms. Laura at 530-6353 to find out more.
Kristen's Living Memorial Saplings
- Saplings have arrived for all 4-H'ers, friends, and families interested in planting a tree in Mrs. Kristen's memory.
- We will provide 1 sapling per family with instructions on how to properly care for your new tree.
- The tree is an Eastern Red Cedar
- They will be available 11/15 from 8:30 am to 5 pm, and are FREE
Horse Program Applications Due 12/31
- Interested in showing or riding in the 2019-2020 4-H Horse Program?
- This would provide you access to local, district, and multi-county shows and clinics.
- What you need to have:
- Fill out the Nassau County Annual Application & return it to Ms. Kelsey by 12/31
- If you are leasing a horse you need to also fill out the Lease Agreement by 12/31.
- Print or pick up a Horse Record Book. This isn't due until the end of march if you're showing at area or June 1st if you're not.
- If you are interested in showing in the Area North Show, you can go ahead and start looking at the Qualification Form.
- Save the Date! Clinics with the Awesome Jennifer Woodruff scheduled for 2/22 and 4/18. They will be $40 each.
- Hippology is the study of horses. That's right, a place just to geek out over equines! We will cover a myriad of topics including anatomy, physiology, behavior, equipment, management, and training.
- Hippology is designed for youth ages 10+ and offers a state competition for youth ages 11 and up. Our meetings are mixed between classroom learning and hands-on lessons with our partnership barn, Kozland Farm.
- Our next meeting is November 5th, 6 pm
- For more information about this program, contact Ms. Kelsey at 904-530-6354 or email@example.com!
Officer Training- 12/5
- Calling all elected club officers for the 2019-2020 year!
- Officer training will be held 12/5 at 6pm, Callahan Extension Office
- If you were elected you are required to attend.
- County Council Officers and one of our State Officers will be leading your training.
- Please RSVP if you can and CLUB LEADERS please report who your officers for the year are so we know who to expect.
Youth Emergency Team
- The Nassau County Youth Emergency Team is an award winning program available to all Nassau County Residents ages 11+. The YET program teaches youth fundamentals of emergency and disaster response such as: fire suppression, hands-only CPR, animal sheltering and handling, search and rescue, first aid, and more!
- The program is FREE and offers youth 25+ community service and a fair point.
- All meetings are held at the Nassau County Emergency Operations Center in Yulee.
- For the full schedule, click HERE
- Both Youth and Adult volunteers are needed for the 11/14 final exam. Please contact Ms. Kelsey for more information. Community service hours will be provided.
- Next Meeting December 5 pm at the Callahan Extension Office!
- We will be preparing for the upcoming fun shop, holiday banquet, and Officer Training
What is County Council?
- A group that represents the entire 4-H program and provides a link between community clubs
- A chance for teens to exercise their leadership abilities and provide input to the county program
- A club focused on leadership, communication, citizenship, and community service
- County Council is open to youth ages 11-18 to grow their leadership skills. County Council is a very active club that helps organize many of the county's events as well as teach officer training.
4-H Day at the Capitol
Teach The Agent
- January, 30th, 2020 at the Florida State Capitol
- Fee: $15, includes your lunch and a t-shirt!
- Registration closes 12/20
- Must register through 4-H Online
- 4-H DATC is a long standing tradition where hundreds of youth from all across the state gather at the Capitol. On this day we will meet with senators and representatives and discover so much about our government.
- Ms. Kelsey & Mr. Ted are knowledgeable about many things, but there are lots of 4-H'ers that know about topics we aren't! We are offering up a fair point opportunity to youth who can teach our agents about something.
- The Teach the Agent sessions will need to be scheduled in advance and should last 5-15 minutes. Depending on the topic we can come to you!
Project & Record Books
Jacksonville Fair 2019
- Need a project or record book? Call or swing by our office to pick yours up!
- Only Full members can receive books
- Remember, only 1 project book can be given out at a time but you can have multiple record books
- Always due June 1st to the office WITH the completed reports
- Cloverbud Report
- Junior Report
- Intermediate Report
- Senior Report
- November 7-17
- 4-H members will be admitted into the fair free of charge if you have your membership card. Please see Ms. Kelsey or Ms. Laura if you would like a membership card.
CLUB MEETING DATES
Callahan Country Kids:11/18, 12/2, 1/6, 2/10 at 7 PM- Extension Office
Town & Country:
Barnyard & Beyond:
Hilliard Back 40:
4-H Shooting Stars: Next meeting is 11/11, 4:30 pm @ Mrs. Dana's House
Young Riders: 11/2, Educational Petting Zoo
CMS Earth Warriors:
Zooming In Photography: