(This is not an exhaustive list, please contact our office if you have any questions)
29- Tree Planting @ A Southern CHRISTmas Tree Farm 9 am -noon
29- Tack Cleaning Fundraiser, Callahan Feed 10-2
2- County Events Registrations Close
2- Cherry Lake Counselor Applications OPEN
6- Oyster Reef Ball Deployment 12 pm - 1:30 pm Goffinsville Park
9- County Council, 5 pm Callahan
11- Overall Advisory, 11 am, Yulee
12- Area North Registrations Open
13- Chef-in-Training entries due by 4:30 pm @ the Extension Office
13- County Events, Callahan 6 pm
16- Summer Camps Announced, registrations open!
21- Spring Animal Science Series #1 NEFL Fair Show Ring 9 am - 1 pm
23- District Council, 6 pm, Callahan
24- Hippology, Barn End of the Year Party
31- 4/2- Hippology State Contest Prep
31- HORSE Record books due (if showing)
2 - Farm Bureau speech contest
3- Cherry Lake Counselor Applications DUE
4-5- Hippology State Contest, Gainesville
7- Area North Registration Closes
11- Horse Clinic, Appy Acres with Jennifer Woodruff
13- County Council, 5 pm Callahan
24- Spaghetti Dinner & Doughnuts Fundraiser 5:30 pm -7 pm
29- 5/10 Tractor Supply paper clover drive
30- Horse Show Prep Night/Educational Display
8-9- Area North Horse Show, Clay County
4-H of the Month!
County Building rentals for club meetings or events are now going through the Nassau County Facilities Maintenance Department.
To schedule a building contact: Raven Jones 904-530-6129.
Summer Camps Will Be Announced Soon!
Horse Program Information
- Hippology is the study of horses. That's right, a place just to geek out over equines! We will cover a myriad of topics including anatomy, physiology, behavior, equipment, management, and training.
- Hippology is designed for youth ages 10+ and offers a state competition for youth ages 11 and up. Our meetings are mixed between classroom learning and hands-on lessons with our partnership barns, Appy Acres LLC & Kozland Farm.
- Next Meeting: March 10, 6pm Kozland Farm
- March 31- April 2- Hippology State Contest Prep
- State Contest April 4-5, Gainesville
- For more information about this program, contact Ms. Kelsey at 904-530-6354 or email@example.com.
Embryology Eggs Needed!
- Got eggs?
- If you are able to donate any fertile chicken eggs to the program, please contact Ms. Kelsey. Any amount that you are able to donate would be greatly appreciated!
- For more information about the embryology program, contact Ms. Kelsey at 904-530-6354 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Spring Animal Science Series
- We are excited to invite you to our 1st session of the Spring Animal Science Series.
- Date: 3/21/2020
- Time: 9 am - 1 pm
- Location: Northeast Florida Fairgrounds
- Topic: Sheep/Goat
- These educational sessions will help youth learn about animal selection, husbandry, showing, and nutrition.
- Each session will conclude with a mini skill-a-thon, with a potential for an overall contest.
- For more information, contact Ms. Kelsey
- EVENTBRITE registration coming soon, workshop will be free but RSVPs required
- Upcoming meetings: March 9th, April 13th, May 11th, June 8th @ 5 pm at the Callahan Extension Office!
- We will be covering District Council ideas for when we host in March, the spaghetti dinner fundraiser in May, and plans for a spring funshop!
What is County Council?
- A group that represents the entire 4-H program and provides a link between community clubs
- A chance for teens to exercise their leadership abilities and provide input to the county program
- A club focused on leadership, communication, citizenship, and community service
- County Council is open to youth ages 11-18 to grow their leadership skills. County Council is a very active club that helps organize many of the county's events as well as teach officer training.
County Events gives 4-H'ers the chance to showcase their knowledge, talent, and skills in multiple areas including: public speaking, demonstrations, share-the-fun (talent show), photography, chef-in-training (cooking), graphic design, and fashion revue (sewing). Come show us what you can do!
Public speaking, demos, share-the-fun, and fashion revue will be shared at the 3/13 event beginning at 6:00 pm. Chef-in-training entries will be due on 3/13 by 4:30 pm for judging prior to the event. Photography and graphic design entries are due by 2/28. All winners will be announced at the 3/13 event.
4-H'ers of all ages are invited to participate. Cloverbuds will receive participant awards for all events. Older youth will receive white, red, or blue ribbons.
Each 4-H'er must be registered individually and can participate in as many events as they want!
Earn up to 2 fair points from participating in two different types of events.
If you are signing up for a team demonstration, be sure all team members list the same title when registering.
Some participants may qualify to move on to Districts Events, which will be held Saturday, May 2nd in Putnam County.
Register for County Events CLOSE 3/2: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/nassau-county-4-h-2020-county-events-tickets-89592564773
Farm Bureau Speech Contest
- Looking for another opportunity to share your passion for agriculture and win some money?
- Contact Jenessa of our local Florida Farm Bureau to sign up for their annual speech contest and for all the full details
- Participants must be ages 14+
- Call 904-879-3438
Host a Japanese Exchange Student
Tractor Supply Paper Clover Campaign
- Interested in hosting a Japanese Exchange student this summer?
- Japanese students will live with their host families July 21st to August 21st and will have the opportunity to improve their English language skills while immersing themselves in American culture.
- This is a phenomenal opportunity for families to build lifelong international friendships while exposing their own children to a new culture and way of seeing the world.
- You can host a youth between the ages of 12-18.
- Please contact Ted Karsch email@example.com to attend an informational meeting of ask any questions.
Spaghetti Dinner & Donuts Fundraiser
- We are looking for clubs who want to host a table during the Spring Tractor Supply Paper Clovers
- We will have tables at both the Jacksonville and Yulee stores so multiple clubs can participate
- Bring animals, educate, fund raise, and help us spread the word of Nassau County 4-H!
- Booths can be set up anytime April 29th- May 10th
- Contact Ms. Kelsey to secure your club's spot!
Date: April 24th
Time: 5:00 pm - 7 pm
Price: $7 1 Dozen Krispy Kreme Donuts, $6 Spaghetti Dinner, OR get 2 dinners + 1 dozen donuts $15!
Location: Callahan Extension Office
- Tickets will be available by March 6th for all Clubs
- Orders will be available for pick up Friday, April 24, 5:00 pm - 7 pm
- Support Nassau County 4-H's scholarship fund by joining us for our Dinner & Donuts fundraiser
Volunteer Opportunity-Oyster Reef Ball Deployment
- Date: February 29
- Time: 9 am -12 pm
- Location: A CHRISTmas Tree Farm, 274000 Murrhee Rd., Hilliard, FL 32046
- Join Hilliard Back 40 for their annual educational tree planting!
- Fair point opportunity. Make sure you sign in as a record of your attendance.
Date: Friday, March 6, 2020
Time: 12 pm -1:30 pm
Location: Goffinsville Park 95001 Goffinsville Road, Fernandina Beach, FL 32034
Join us as we deploy the second oyster reef material for the Goffinsville Demonstration Living Shoreline. The oyster reef balls will provide a habitat for oysters, crabs, fish and other marine animals. Help to reduce erosion and provide stability for the shoreline. We're looking for strong volunteers because these oyster reef balls are 50 pounds each! We'll be placing 20 out along the shoreline of Goffinsville Park.
For more information and to register visit: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/oyster-reef-ball-deployment-tickets-91623750103
Teach The Agent
- Ms. Kelsey & Mr. Ted are knowledgeable about many things, but there are lots of 4-H'ers that know about topics we aren't! We are offering up a fair point opportunity to youth who can teach our agents about something.
- The Teach the Agent sessions will need to be scheduled in advance and should last 5-15 minutes. Depending on the topic we can come to you!
Project & Record Books
- Need a project or record book? Call or swing by our office to pick yours up!
- Only Full members can receive books
- Remember, only 1 project book can be given out at a time but you can have multiple record books
- Always due June 1st to the office WITH the completed reports
- Cloverbud Report
- Junior Report
- Intermediate Report
- Senior Report
Florida 4-H State Council Fundraiser 2019-2020
Hosted by the Florida 4-H Executive Board Ways and Means Committee
This classic backpack (Port Authority® Basic Backpack) has a large main compartment with a computer sleeve and a zippered front pocket with a mesh organizer.
All proceeds will benefit the Florida 4-H State Council Program
$27.90 – Price of backpack Additional $5.00 customizing option
For more information and to order use this link: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/florida-4-h-state-council-fundraiser-2019-2020-backpacks-tickets-94238408617
CLUB MEETING DATES
Callahan Country Kids: March 2, April 13 and May 4 - meetings begin 7 PM- Extension Office
Town & Country: March, 3 @ MUF, March, 31 @ MUF
Barnyard & Beyond: 2/27 5:30-7:30 Artist Workshop- (Special guest Benjamin Sharit local woodcarver)
Hilliard Back 40: 2nd Monday every month, locations vary please contact leaders
4-H Shooting Stars: Please contact club leader
Next Generation: March 10 and May 12 4 pm - 5:30 pm
Young Riders: March 8, 2:30 pm Carey State Forest
Sunshine Crew: 2nd Tuesday of the month @ the fairgrounds 6:30 pm
Zooming In Photography: